Friday, December 9, 2011

How do people do this?

After this morning's follow-up appointment with the diabetic educator, it sounds like I am going to have to start on an oral hypoglycemic to control my blood glucose levels.  (Long story short, my fasting levels are higher than they should be, regardless of my carb intake at bedtime.)

I don't mind the idea of taking medication in and of itself.  Even if I'm told at some point that I have to take insulin shots, that won't be the worst thing in the world.  Inconvenient and momentarily painful, sure, but not awful.

The thing that has me feeling really overwhelmed is what goes along with this development.  Because my GD will require medication to control, my perinatologist is recommending twice-weekly non-stress tests starting at 32 weeks.  These would be on top of the weekly OB appointments I will have by that time and the monthly growth scans.

So basically I am looking at having three doctor's appointments a week--two of which could last a couple of hours--starting in a few weeks.  Maybe even some weeks with a fourth appointment.  Sheesh.  That's a lot of doctors' appointments for someone who, prior to infertility and pregnancy, *maybe* went to the doctor for an annual physical and about once every two years for some type of illness.

I understand why the additional monitoring is recommended, and of course I want the babies to be watched closely so that prompt action can be taken if any complications develop.  But I am finding it hard to see how I am going to be able to continue working--even with a reduced workload--if I'm going to be at the doctor so often.  It's already been hard for me to keep up at work because I so often don't feel well physically.  (Examples: frequent heartburn & stomach upset; feeling tired most of the time; waking up with a headache every day this week.)

Oh well.  I am going to have to find a way to fit all this into my schedule because I have no alternative.  I just wonder how other people manage all this.  They must, right?


  1. I was able to work until I delivered my twins at 35w5d. I started my NSTs at 34 weeks since my boys were measuring ahead at their growth scan at 32 weeks. Going to the doctor three days a week was difficult. I would work in the afternoon after my NSTs so I could stay a bit later and would leave early for my once a week appointment with the regular OB. My final 36w growth scan would have been the same day as a NST so I wouldn't have to go to the office for a fourth time that week (but I delivered before I got that far). My job was flexible which made it easier since I wanted to save all of my time off for after my delivery.

    It can be stressful, but it's doable. Good luck!

  2. I had to do twice weekly NSTs also and it was pretty disruptive, and my job isn't even as intense as yours. You just do what you have to do, I guess. With that said, some practical info: the NSTs lasted about a half hour each (sometimes less if Hannah cooperated), so it's not as bad as the worst case scenario they may have given you. Also, I'm not sure what insurance you have, but this MAY be relevant to you. On MY group plan, we had 100% coverage for labs and tests and diagnositcs, etc. HOWEVER, if they were done IN the doctor's office, they were covered under the deductible/copay plan! SO, for my LAST NST, they didn't have room and had to send me out to a specialist. It turns out THAT one was covered 100%, no copay, no nothing, but NONE of the other ones were! I had to pay a $40 copay for EACH NST test, twice a week, for about 6 weeks I think it was. OUCH! I WISH I would have known that PRIOR to delivery! I could have easily gone 2 doors down and sat in a bigger room and gotten MORE monitoring for free rather than share a closet (for all intents and purposes) with another mom in our dueling recliners. Check your plan and see if it matters where you have your tests done in order to get the best coverage. Hope that helps you or possibly another reader.

  3. Yeah, I hear you. There isn't enough hours in the day. And it's not like you can work earlier or later hours too much because, like you said, you are feeling it.

    If it is financially feasible, you might consider starting leave sooner. Just a thought (I am sure you have pondered this already.) I started leave one earlier because I couldn't walk anymore. It made it hard on the other side because I ended up going back to work when A was 5 weeks only instead of 6. Bleah!

  4. Can you bring work with you to the NSTs? I remember that they would hook me up and then just leave me reclined on a bed for a while, so I usually brought a book or took a nap. So if you can do work away from the office, it would probably work out unless you needed an internet connection and the hospital didn't have one. Although you might want to check with your doctor first, too.

  5. Wow, that is a lot of appointments. I feel for you! And hard to work when you're not feeling well...
    And also, I nominated you for a blog award today on my blog. Don't feel obligated to pass it on...just know that you are appreciated! :)

  6. Geesh that is a lot of appointments. It's good to be monitored, but sounds like a challenge. However, you will rise to the occasion and will find a way to manage. All the best to you! Hooray for the final stretch.:)

  7. I stopped work at 29 weeks on the advice of my GP. I had a high risk pregnancy and LOTS of appointments and blood pressure issues. The way it works in my profession (teaching) in the UK is that, if you have pregnancy related health issues, you can take paid sick leave until 4 weeks before your due date, at which point you need to start your maternity leave, It made a huge difference to my stress levels and my blood pressure and I'm sure it was a significant factor in keeping me and the baby well all the way to my due date (had been threatened with early delivery). Don't be proud - if you CAN stop work, DO!

  8. You may need to stop working earlier than anticipated. I too had multiple appointments a week and wasnt driving so it was really tough and intrusive on my schedule. Luckily it was summer and i was off. That was the only way i could manage. You will figure it out, but it is frustrating.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.